Saturday, May 14, 2011

頑張り

Although I have spent 15 years in Asia I have never had an opportunity to visit Japan. I have flown in and out of the country countless times always starting down from the blurry airplane window at the Tokyo metropolis wishing for a chance to experience the culture of one of the greatest nations on Earth. 

Courtesy of a international field study requirement to receive my MBA at the University of Maine I now have that chance. Due to the recent major earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster that devastated many areas of coastal Japan, the trip's future seemed bleak. Thanks to the determination, persistence and understanding of both students, faculty and Dean Manev, less than 16 hours stands in between us and an experience of a lifetime.  

Much thanks goes to Prof. Jason Harkins, Paul and Keiko Myer. Their efforts far surpassed my expectations  and I am deeply grateful for their commitment to the students who stood firm in our resolve to see the process through and keep hope alive.

This blog will track my experiences in Japan as I reflect on them. My aim is to include both entries related to travel and tourist attractions but also cultural and academic reflections. Please feel welcome to comment on any post.

As I mentioned above I have made the trans-pacific flight many times but it has been a long time since I was actually excited for the 12 hour ordeal that is JFK-NRT flight aboard everyone's favorite airline.....Delta. :( 

さようなら

1 comment:

  1. That's simply an awesome photo..i've stored it in my archive with your name/date in the header...

    ReplyDelete